Saturday, August 22, 2009

Deciding to End the Silence

I have been told by my therapist that as I enter EMDR therapy, some of my memories of the abuse I have suffered may be lost or altered. I need to get my story into words before my story is lost.  I am telling my story not because it is unique or rare, but because the tragedy of abuse is so common.  These words will tell not only of my experiences , but will echo of the stories of others who have also endured and survived abuse. Perhaps even those still trapped in the nightmare that is abuse.  I recently read a very popular book about the experiences of an abused child told by that child as an adult.  As I read it, I knew that there were far more similarities about my story and his story than there were differences.  The pain, lonliness, and sense of abandoment were eerily similar.   I tell this story not to focus on the horrors of the abuse, but to focus on the resilience of the human spirit and the will to go on.  I tell my story because I have survived through the help of my Father in Heaven and my L.D.S. religion. As I journey into what was sometimes the depths of hell, perhaps I will find comfort in knowing that maybe, just maybe, my telling of this story may help someone else find the courage to survive and go on.

1 comment:

  1. I have used EMDR, myself and have had great success with it. I am looking forward to more blog posts!

    ReplyDelete